Saturday, May 22, 2010

A New Blog!

My family has a rich pioneer history of unwritten stories. As far as I know, many of my ancestors didn't keep a journal or publish their own stories anywhere. They told their stories to their children who passed them on until the present.
I love these stories.
I love them because they are full of history, courage, faith, and hope. Some are inspiring. Some are amusing. All of them are worth retelling.
Many of the details have been lost or possibly altered. It's like the telephone game where you sit in a circle and whisper a message. The more participants, the greater the change when the last person repeats it back. Although these stories have never been deliberately altered, there is no way for me to verify their authenticity entirely.
I recently began a quest to find out what I could about these stories and then write them down. I've decided to publish them here publicly so that others who may have descended from the same people might stumble across them and give me their versions. Or perhaps others with similar stories will share them here.
There is something enchanting about these stories that are lost to ledgers or journals, but remembered by the posterity of the pioneers.
I want to keep them alive.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! this is totally random, but I found your blog via google and thought you might be able to help me. I am trying to compile pioneer stories of women for a project, and I am wondering if you have any significant stories you would like to send to me. Please e-mail me at: arielmullins0@gmail.com Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete