Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A Significant Moment for Matthews


I'd like to take a break from the stories to mention the dedication of the Gila Valley Temple in Arizona. I was privileged to see the dedication via satellite at my stake center. The temple matron gave a brief talk and mentioned the many Arizona pioneers who would be rejoicing along with us as the temple was dedicated. I couldn't help but think of Joseph Matthews, David Henry Matthews, and the rest of their family.
David Henry Matthews and his brothers, the sons of Joseph Matthews, were asked to leave Utah and help build a colony in Arizona. The church leaders told Joseph that he had earned his retirement and that they didn't expect him to go. He told them, "You know damned well if you are calling my sons to go, you are calling me too!" So he went.
They settled in a place that came to be known as "Matthewsville" near present day Pima. It doesn't exist anymore... except for this:

This sign marks the dirt road that leads to the cemetery where many of the Matthews are buried. Here is the monument to Joseph Matthews and his wife:


And the headstone for David Henry Matthews and his wife:


After visiting the cemetery I shared some of my favorite stories about my pioneer ancestors with my young family. My seven year old was captivated by the stories, just as I am. The Arizona pioneers were amazing men and women. They built something solid where there was very little. In some ways, I felt sad that all that was left were these few headstones in a small cemetery in the middle of nowhere. As I thought about it, though, I realized that the real monument to them is their descendants.
My grandmother, Phyllis Matthews/Stevens, was an amazing woman. She had six children and took in many more through the foster care program. I understand that she also taught English and helped immigrants get their citizenship. She supported education and helped teach me to read. What greater gift can you give a child than that?
I had my dad on the phone, guiding us to the grave sites. I told him that I really, really liked those Matthew's characters. He told me that any many ways, I'm one of them. I hope I can live up to that!
More Matthew's stories to follow... the one about the Titanic and Mexican Fred come to mind.
I don't intend for this site to be purely for Matthew's stories, though. If you have a pioneer story from your family history you'd like to post, please email it to me!

1 comment:

  1. great info to know about the gila temple, the members of our chaple make a trip each month to go there, we are from el paso tx. And we love the temple!

    ReplyDelete